Jeff Buckley released only one album before he tragically died in 1997, but that was not the only material he recorded ever. Before making Grace, Buckley recorded demos to show his producers the direction he saw the album going. Now, Columbia/Legacy Recordings is planned to release some of the never-before-heard recordings in a new compilation named You and I.
Set out on March 16th, You and I will contain two originals, — demo versions of “Grace” and “Dream of You and I” — with eight covers going from classic rock to alternative to funk. The album has Buckley covering songs by Bob Dylan (“Just Like a Woman”), Led Zeppelin (“Night Flight”), and The Smiths (“The Boy with the Thorn in His Side” and “I Know It’s Over”). Also on the album are his takes on traditional songs like “Poor Boy Long Way from Home” and “Don’t Let the Sun Catch You Cryin’.”
You can listen Buckley’s version of Sly & The Family Stone’s “Everyday People” here. The cover has his distinct bluesy twist on the classic, but still keeping the funk in the song as he sings, “And so on/ And so on/ And scooby dooby dooby.”
Listen to the song as well as the NPR “Morning Edition” report on the album that features a sample of “The Boy with the Thorn in His Side.” The full tracklist is below.
You and I Tracklist:
01. Just Like A Woman (Bob Dylan cover)
02. Everyday People (Sly & The Family Stone cover)
03. Don’t Let The Sun Catch You Cryin’ (First recorded by Louis Jordan)
04. Grace (original)
05. Calling You (Jevetta Steele cover)
06. Dream Of You And I (original)
07. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (The Smiths cover)
08. Poor Boy Long Way From Home (traditional blues song, Bukka White cover)
09. Night Flight (Led Zeppelin cover)
10. I Know It’s Over (The Smiths cover)